Tuesday, June 1, 2010

My travelling pantry - things we Ate

While we were in Tasmania we stayed in some great accommodation. Deliberately I booked us into accommodation with kitchens for three reasons
1. Too keep the cost down
2. I like my own cooking.
3. We like to eat a lot of vegetables and this can be in short supply.

So before leaving home I packed up a 50 litre plastic tub with some essentials. I also have a 2 sided cooler bag one that holds two bottles and a bigger one on the other side.
1. stainless steel frypan and steamer - I don't cook in teflon
2. A good knife
3. Roll of foil, gladwrap, bakepaper and a pack of zip lock bags.
4. 250 ml size screw top plastic container of caster sugar.
5. Cocoa
6. Plunger for coffee
7. Tea bags and Coffee grounds caff and decaff.
8. Flour
9. Some cooler bricks and some plastic containers.
To this as we traveled I added the oil, the vinegar, the dukkah and other stuff
So one night we had Fresh Salmon with Almond Dukkah Crust.
If I had been home I wouldn't have used this combination but as we traveled around I just kept buying food stuffs that appealed to me.
So in the traveling pantry I had a bottle of Lemon infused Olive oil, a packet of Almond Dukkah and a bottle of Strawberry Balsamic vinegar. All really delicious on their own but not a combination I would normally use. I just tried it out confident that Greg will eat just about anything.
I had 2 skin on portions of lovely fresh Tasmanian Salmon. In a frying pan I heated the lemon infused olive oil until really hot and put the salmon in skin side UP. Fried until crisp and browned, then turned over and repeated on the skin side with a knob of butter (about 1 tablespoon). Then I mixed a some of the dukkah with some of the olive oil plastered it all over the top and browned it under the grill. After it is cooked put in on a warm plate and drizzle with the Strawberry Balsamic vinegar.
We had it with creamy mash potato with fresh herbs mixed through and steamed broccolini.

The next day with lunch I mixed a little of the oil with the vinegar and we had soem toasted bread dipped in this mixture and then dipped in the leftover dukkah. YUM

I also took my Microwave Cup Cake Recipe I must confess the basic recipe is not mine but the adjustments are

Microwave Cup Cake

6 Tablespoons SR Flour (or 4 Tablespoons flour and 2 cocoa)
4 tablespoons sugar or brown sugar
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons sunflower oil
1 egg
Teaspoon vanilla
Optional 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, frozen berries or choc chips

Mix egg, milk, vanilla and oil add flour and sugar. Add walnuts berries or choc chips.
Grease 2 coffee mugs divide mixture evenly between mugs. Microwave 3 to 4 minutes on high.
Allow to cool slightly then tip out and eat or eat it straight out of the cup.

Optional –
- Put some cooked apples underneath cake.

- ½ mashed banana through mixture.

- Substitute 1 tablespoon maple syrup for 1 tablespoon milk. Fold through 2 tablespoon chopped pecans.

- Instead of milk use orange or lemon juice and add some grated rind.

- Substitute 1 tablespoon of milk for rum and add 1 tablespoon chopped raisins.

- Grease mug and then cover bottom of cup with teaspoon of your favourite jam. Then put the cake mix on the top.

While at the Salamanca Market I bought some pineapple quinces and cooked those A La Maggie Beer I didn't make it into a pie we just had this with custard.

2 comments:

Sparklyjools said...

Peta, this sounds delicious, but what is dukkah please?! We don't get it in the UK.

Unknown said...

Hi JUles
Dukkah is nuts and spices toasted and mixed together, I'll send you a recipe when I get home, you'll love it