Friday, June 4, 2010

Dukkah

What is Dukkah that is the question. It is a Middle Eastern nut and spice mix.
It is so delicious and not hard to make

I often buy it but I do like to make it as well. Some people just whack it all into a pan together and that works but I like to get out my big cast iron pan and take some time. I like all the ingredients to be as fresh as I can get them. The starting point is nuts - almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, pistachios or any other nut, the choice is up to you. Also a mixture of nuts is very tasty. I would probably not mix hazelnuts with to many other nuts but that is just my personal preference.
To start I will give you my favorite mixture. This is not a process to walk away from.
1/2 cup slivered almonds. Put these into a hot dry pan and stir or toss over heat until they start to brown,tip them out of the pan into a metal bowl. They will keep browning after you take them off the heat so be careful.
1/2 cup sesame seeds and 1 tablespoon pine nuts. Into the same pan toss or stir until they start to color then tip them into the bowl with the nuts.
Next step is the spices I do them all the separately and put them into a separate bowl from the nuts and seeds. They cook at different rates and it is so easy to have burnt bits of spice. Not a good thing
1 heaped tablespoon coriander seeds - toss in the hot pan until you can smell them and they might start to pop.
1 tablespoon cumin seeds - same as the coriander
1 tablespoon black peppercorns - same as the coriander.
1 or 2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cinnamon or mixed spice - Don't heat these
Toss all the spices with the salt and cinnamon together and allow to cool. Put into a mortar and pound until the mixture is crushed. Or pulse in a food processor to a coarse consistency; do not allow the mixture to become a paste. I like to chop the nuts and seeds with a knife or really carefully pulse in the food processor. It is so easy to end up with a paste. Mix the two together and store in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 1 month.

If you like things a bit more spicy then add some dried chili or substitute some garam masala or a Moroccan spice mix. Also a bit more salt some times is required.

This mixture is really popular here in Australia with bread dipped into oil and vinegar. Olive oil and balsamic vinegar is a good mix and lemon infused olive oil and strawberry balsamic is just excellent.
If you google Dukkah there are literally thousands of recipes and ideas for using it I hope you enjoy it.

1 comment:

Sparklyjools said...

This sounds delicious Peta, It's not something that has caught on over here, but I shall give it a try!