Sunday, August 19, 2012

Artist's Statement



I have been giving some thought to my own artist’s statement. Is it a form of self-advertisement? Is it a description of my own artistic journey? Is it a way of filling the back of a swing tag? 
Perhaps it is something I write and then print out and put on my studio wall to keep me focussed and inspired when I just want to re-read a novel for the tenth time instead of getting on with a piece of work.
Artist Rebekah Joy Platt description of herself is “I float happily about with my fingers in the water. I draw all day and write all night”. Rebekah is the author of the wonderful “Invest in Artists” print that is available from her website. For the full quote you need to go here but I’ve pulled out a few lines for you.
“When you buy from an independent artist you are buying more than just a painting or a novel or a song…….. You aren’t just buying a thing, you are buying a piece of heart, part of a soul, a private moment in someone’s life…… something that put’s the life in living”.
Darn, I wish I’d written that.
I’ve been working on improving my own writing. I read a lot. I completed a professional writing course that left me depressed and wondering if I have any talent for writing at  all. I am filled with self doubt and nothing kills off creativity like a bad case of self doubt.
Vincent Van Gogh said "If you hear a voice within you say ‘you cannot paint,’ then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."  

That, of course, applies to anything but sometimes that voice is really loud. 

So I shall write my artist’s statement. 

Something a bit more than “I like to make stuff and if I sell it, Yay for me!”
Actually that does sum up my creative journey. I just need to make it a bit more highbrow, then again maybe not.
It is a good starting point isn’t it.


No comments: